All programmes in culture and arts and all public events scheduled in the ECoC event calendar by 14 April are postponed until further notice. Partner organisations participating in the realisation of the European Capital of Culture made this decision at a joint meeting today.
In view of the latest coronavirus developments, where safeguarding public health is everyone’s top priority, Rijeka 2020 and its partners agreed to cancel all events scheduled to take place by 14 April, irrespective of the number of attendants.
RiHub space for ECoC conferences, workshops, lectures and similar events will be closed for such events until further notice. It will, however, remain open to the public and continue to provide information about the ECoC project and programmes, and it will continue to function as a co-working space and Rijeka 2020 souvenir shop.
Decisions about other events scheduled for the second half of April and for May will be made by mid-April with a view to our responsibility towards the audience, the local population, and the visitors from the rest of the country. Going forward, we will consider the possibility of postponing these events for later in the year and the need to cancel some of the programmes that will not be possible to postpone in the light of future precautions against the coronavirus.
“All culture enthusiasts doubtlessly wish to attend events in culture and enjoy them to the max without worry or fear”, RIJEKA 2020 Director Emina Višnić said, adding:
Aware that many citizens and visitors are unable to attend ECoC programmes without reserves due to various necessary precautions that are being taken, but also due to personal reasons related to their understanding of the danger of the epidemic, we made this decision to postpone the events until such a time when the danger of the coronavirus spreading will no longer be present. Our wish is to allow everyone to attend and participate in ECoC programmes without worrying about the current risks associated with the epidemic and the spreading of the virus.
For the time being, all events scheduled for March and for the first half of April have been postponed. We will inform the public about possible postponements of other programmes and about the new dates for the programmes we can reschedule in respect of future developments.
For now, the following scheduled ECoC events are postponed until further notice:
- Conference “Accessibility and the City”, scheduled for 13 March, as the public has already been notified;
- Concert “Evening of Harmony”, scheduled for 13 March, of which the public has also been informed during the day;
- Opening of the exhibition/performance ahead of the premiere of the play “Practicing Life – Second Time”, scheduled for 13 March;
- Kostrena Neighbourhood Living Room Programme, scheduled for 17 March;
- Play “Practicing Life – Second Time”, scheduled for 17, 18, 19, 23 and 24 March;
- Project Naturografie by Roberto Ghezzi, whose development and preparation was scheduled for 17-23 March;
- “Secrets of the Lujzijana Road” Delnice Neighbourhood Festival, scheduled for 19-22 March;
- Guided tour of the exhibition “With the Collection” by David Maljković, scheduled for 19 March at 7:00 pm;
- Children’s play “The Happy Little House”, scheduled for 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28 March;
- Concert “Adams, Beethoven, Shostakovich”, scheduled for 21 March;
- Lecture “Film for Everyone – From Idea to Realisation”, scheduled for 23 March;
- Kostrena Neighbourhood Living Room programme, scheduled for 24 March;
- Guided tour of the “Museum of the Crystal Skull”, an integral part of Maljković’s exhibition, scheduled for 24 March;
- Rijeka Film Festival (RIFF), of whose postponement the public has already been notified;
- Exhibition “Red School” by Dubravka Ugrešić, scheduled to open on 26 March and be open until 16 April;
- Concert of Kosovo-based band Tetris, scheduled for 26 March;
- Opening of the exhibition “3rd Shift” by Milijana Babić and the Centre for Women’s Studies at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Rijeka, scheduled for 26 March;
- Book presentation by Nora Turato at the Vila Ružić, an integral part of Maljković’s exhibition, scheduled for 26 March;
- Round table about the exhibition “3rd Shift”, scheduled for 27 March;
- Opening of the exhibition “Do Plants Have Dreams about the Future?” by Igor Eškinja, scheduled for 27 March;
- Guided tour of the exhibition “With the Collection”, planned for 27 March;
- “Game Dev Meetup”, scheduled for 28 March;
- “Challenge Tour” event, scheduled for 28 and 29 March;
- Exhibition “Werkplaats typografie” by the WHW Academy, an integral part of the exhibition “With the Collection” by the Academy of Applied Arts, scheduled for 28 March;
- Opening of the exhibition “Transbalkan”, scheduled for 31 March;
- Film screening at the Kostrena Exotic Cinema, part of the Network of Cinemas in Exotic Locations, scheduled for 31 March;
- Presentation of the “Therapy Park(s)” project, scheduled for March;
- Presentations of the Green Wave project, scheduled for March;
- “Kortil Live” programme, scheduled for 1 April;
- Part of “The Good Children’s Books” literary event, scheduled to begin on 1 April;
- “In Search of the Heart of Kostrena” Kostrena Neighbourhood Festival, scheduled for 2-4 April;
- Guided tour of the exhibition “With the Collection”, scheduled for 2 April;
- Vision String Quartet concert, scheduled for 4 April;
- Visit of the Committee on Culture of the European Parliament to Rijeka, scheduled for 6-8 April;
- Lecture “Film for Everyone – Music Videos and Editing”, scheduled for 6 April;
- Kostrena Neighbourhood Living Room programme, scheduled for 6 April;
- Workshop “Identity Rimix – Workshop of Angry Intervals”, scheduled for 7-9 April;
- INCC 2020 – 9th International Numismatic Congress in Croatia, scheduled for 7-10 April;
- Guided tour of the exhibition “With the Collection”, scheduled for 9 April;
- Exhibition “Damnatio Memoriae” in the Drenova Neighbourhood, scheduled for 9 April;
- Play “Practicing Life – Second Time”, scheduled for 10, 11 and 14 April;
- “Startup Grind Meetup”, scheduled for 11 April;
- Kostrena Neighbourhood Living Room Programme, scheduled for 14 April.
We will inform the public about new event dates or any programme cancellations on time.
We trust that the coronavirus situation will soon be resolved, that all steps taken to prevent its spreading will produce results, and that the health risks will soon be eliminated.