By this public call for expressions of interest, the company RIJEKA 2020 d.o.o. invites its existing and future sponsors and suppliers to express their interest in participating in the largest cultural project in the Republic of Croatia. Join us in this project of utmost importance for Rijeka and the Republic of Croatia!
Following the recommendation of the evaluation Commission of Independent Experts for the selection of the European Capital of Culture of 24 March 2016, the Government of the Republic of Croatia adopted a decision accepting the Commission’s Report and appointing Rijeka as the European Capital of Culture in 2020 on 23 June 2016. Rijeka thereby became the first Croatian city that will hold such a prestigious title. Moreover, this will take place in the year in which the Republic of Croatia will be presiding over the European Union, which is the first time such an overlap of terms has been recorded in the Union’s history. This has a special value for the Republic of Croatia, which will thus become the point of doubled additional interest from the other members of the European Union, and therefore represents a unique opportunity for national promotion.
The holder of the title “Rijeka 2020 – European Capital of Culture” is the City of Rijeka. The City’s main partners in the implementation of the project are the Primorje-Gorski Kotar County and the Government of the Republic of Croatia, which are, along with the City of Rijeka, the main co-financiers of the project.
In order to implement the project Rijeka 2020 – European Capital of Culture, the City of Rijeka (72% of business shares) and the Primorje-Gorski Kotar County (28% business shares) founded the company Rijeka 2020 d.o.o. on 24 May 2016.
The company Rijeka 2020 d.o.o. involves the entire community in the preparation of the programme, while at the same time basing the programme on the cooperation of the entire cultural sector, but other sectors and stakeholders as well, in the city, region and beyond. The aim of the project Rijeka 2020 – European Capital of Culture is to implement a programme that will question the cultural, social and economic challenges faced by contemporary Europe and the world and which will highlight the contribution of culture to sustainable development.
Objectives of the project RIJEKA 2020 – European Capital of Culture:
- Increase the scope, diversity and internationalisation of the cultural offering
- Strengthen social cohesion through expanded access to and participation in culture at the level of the City of Rijeka and Primorje-Gorski Kotar County
- Strengthen the cultural sector’s capacities and synergy with other sectors
- Strengthen the international profile of the city and county
- Increase the overall social and economic attractiveness of the city and county
The implementation of the project Rijeka 2020 – ECoC project is expected to achieve the effects at three levels: cultural, economic, and social, whereby the following key expected effects are defined in each group:
- Cultural effects: promote local and Croatian creativity and heritage as part of European cultural diversity and create international partnerships, exchanges and networks (planned number of events: 1,000)
- Economic effects: improve infrastructure and facilities relating to the offer of cultural content and increase the number of visitors in the city and the county (expected number of visitors: 1 million in 2020)
- Social effects: include wide range of groups of citizens and stakeholders in the preparation and implementation of the project and improve the connection between the city and the citizens – strengthening identity and improving social cohesion (planned number of volunteers: 500)